Wednesday, October 14, 2009

An Easy Version of Steak Frites

Yesterday, I was having one of those days where I just couldn't get it together. So I decided to make something requiring little thinking and and even less prep. My take on Steak Frites.

I started with one sweet potato. The potatoes I have been getting in the CSA box are huge and one is enough for the both of us. Peel, and slice into french fry-ish shapes.


Toss with olive oil, salt & pepper and place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Cook for about 30 minutes in a 450 degree oven.

Taste, add more salt if necessary, and garnish with parsley. (I garnish everything with parsley as I am trying to use it up before it all freezes out there.)


So, while the fries were in the oven, I decided to switch from lemonade to wine. I poured myself a little glass. In the same glass. You can still see the residual lemon pulp if you look hard. The Captains says, "nice glass of wine, you should take a picture of that and put it on your blog." So here ya go.


Also while the fries were baking, I got out the mortar and pestle, threw in some peppercorns, salt, mustard seed (brown and yellow), and red pepper flakes.


A little arm workout, and we have a dry rub.




I rubbed the ribeye (its Hinkebein, I love it) with a little olive oil, the rub, some fresh garlic and rosemary.




I let The Captain grill it. I wasn't in the mood to venture out into the cold. So I don't have any action grilling shots for ya. After about 4 or 5 minutes a side, he brings it in. We let it rest for another 5 minutes.


Good Job, Captain! The meat looks great. (Notice the gratutious parsley use again.)




4 comments:

  1. I'm going to try your Sweet Potato Frites this weekend. I've been craving sweet potatos for weeks now. I tried making some via the "frying" technique last week, but I didn't like the way they turned out. Plus, I hate dunking anything in a skillet of boiling oil.

    I like a crispy outside and a soft center. Is that how yours turned out? I soaked mine last week for an hour, but I think it just made them rubbery.

    Thanks for the awesome recipes you post!! You are my new indulgence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The center was soft, and some were crispier than others. Honestly, they were like long skinny roasted sweet potatoes. I am thinking about the sweet potato fries that I have had out at restaurants and they are never crispy (and I am pretty sure the places that I have had them fry them). Maybe something inherent in the SP that makes it not crisp up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need a coffee grinder for your dry rubs. Put it on your Christmas list for Skip. Looks FAB! Too bad Doc hates sweet potatoes too! LOL. I just can't win!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually enjoy using the mortal and pestle. Its satisfies some primal need in me. Although I'm not a huge fan of peppercorns flying everywhere when I first start the grinding.

    Doc picks the best vegetables to hate. I feel bad for you. The Captain will eat anything. I am spoiled.

    ReplyDelete