Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Blueberry Muffins

My adorable and charming niece and nephew (Hello Caitlin and William!) and I enjoy a fine cupcake every now and again. So, a couple of weeks ago when we met for dinner, my sister and her kids gave me some cute cupcake wrappers. I was really trying to figure out a way to use them that would do them justice. Today, I made some delicious blueberry muffins in some of the bright blue wrappers. I used a Martha recipe, naturally.
http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/favorite-blueberry-muffins
The nicest part about these wrappers is that they allowed me to skip the "butter and flour the pan" step.

Here are the blueberries I am using. I bought them at the farmers market from a farm called Ozark Mountain Orchard back in July. I IQF'd em, bagged em, and sucked all the air out of em. They have been waiting patiently in the downstairs freezer.


Instead of using 2 cups of AP flour, I used a cup of AP and a cup of whole wheat. That makes me feel less bad about scarfing down a bunch of these muffins. Then I whisked all the dry ingredients together (flour, baking powder, and salt).



I get everything ready, so that once I start, I don't have to stop. I put a stick of room temperature butter and a cup of sugar in a big bowl.


I mixed my eggs and vanilla together.


When I open the bag, the frozen berries look fantastic. Almost fresh looking. Well, fresh with some ice attached.



I put some of the flour mixture on the berries so that they "float" in the batter better.



Shake em around until they are all lightly coated.



And get started. Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.



Add eggs, one at a time. Add flour mixture and milk. Mix until just moistened.



Fold in blueberries and some lemon zest.



Resist the temptation to overmix.



Combine a 1/4 of a cup of sugar and some freshly ground nutmeg.


Scoop the batter into muffin tins and top with sugar mixture. The recipe says it will make 12 muffins, but I ended up with about 20. Seriously. That's got to be a misprint.



Yum.





I took one while it was still super hot from the oven and cracked it open so everyone could see the quantity of blueberries in these. The Captain recommended against using this picture, he thought it made the muffins look like they fall apart. I think it makes the muffins look delicious.




No comments:

Post a Comment