Monday, October 12, 2009

Fresh vs Frozen

(Here's an editorial note: blogger keeps reorienting my pictures. Then if I reorient to counter their reorientation, they don't end reorienting it. So sorry some of the pictures are wonky. I'm not sure what to do.)



If you had asked me a couple of years ago whether I preferred fresh to frozen vegetable, I would have, without hesitation, stated that fresh is ALWAYS better than frozen. Frozen vegetables always seemed soggy and limp. But now, after learning the simple techniques to freeze my own (and farm share) vegetables, I can easily say that frozen vegetables can be just as good as the fresh ones. In fact, I prefer things that were frozen in season, to fresh out of season vegetables. Here's an example:



A bag of home frozen green beans straight from the freezer. (These particular beans were from my CSA box.) They look handsome enough.

After letting them defrost in the bag on the counter for a couple of minutes, I put them into a pan, tiny ice crystals and all.

Add a little olive oil, garlic, and salt & pepper, and they kind of steam-stir fry.



See, these beans don't look soggy or limp. And they taste just like fresh.







No comments:

Post a Comment