Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Peach Crumble

I needed a little bit of sunshine in this rainy week, so I decided to bust out some of the peaches I froze over the summer. The Captain and I both looked at the date on this bag and both decided that we clearly labeled the bag wrong. It must have been 8/29 because we weren't freezing peaches less than a month ago. No way. No how. Anyway, I decided a nice crumble would make us feel less schmoopy.

This is about as simple as dessert gets. Take one defrosted bag of peaches. I think there were 3 peaches in here. (Yay me and my precise methods of freezing in quantity!)


Dump contents of bag into bowl. Squeeze a half of a lemon. (Well, I would have used a lemon if I had one, but I didn't. So I used a lime.)



Add some freshly grated nutmeg, some cinnamon, and a little tiny bit of flour. Stir until incorporated. Butter 4 ramekins. Use real butter.



Divide contents of bowl evenly between 4 ramekins. Don't get excited and overload them or they will make a mess of the oven. Squeeze a little bit of honey over the top of the fruit mixture.



For the topping, I take a 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup of AP flour, 1/2 of oats (I use 1 minute), 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter cut into pieces. Easy to remember. A half cup of everything. Oh and a pinch of salt.


Work it with your fingers until it gets a crumbly consistency. If you are rich and have a food processor, I guess you could use that too. :)



Cover the fruit with the topping, keeping it loose, and bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.



Peachalicious!


Disclaimer: I had enough topping for about 4 more of these guys, but hadn't defrosted enough fruit. (And frankly, didn't need 8 of these around the house - they don't keep that well.) So I packaged up half topping in a container and put it in the freezer for future use. I've got a freezer full of blueberries, blackberries, black raspberries and raspberries so I am sure I'll use it up soon.
Disclaimer #2: These are much better with vanilla ice cream (I recommend Haagen Daz Five -drool-) but as good of a cook as I am, I am a horrible organizer and we were out of ice cream when I went to the freezer. The Horror!

No comments:

Post a Comment