Thursday, October 1, 2009

An Odd Way to Relax or Why I Am Screwed If the Power Goes Out for an Extended Period of Time

During the summer, between the farmshare and the garden, we get way more vegetables than we could ever consume. So we eat some, and I freeze a bunch. I always found the process for freezing green beans bothersome, but something changed this last year (I have no idea what or why) and I absolutely look forward to doing this chore. Here's how that works:



Step 1: Snap the tips off the green beans and give them a quick rinse.



Step 2: Throw the beans into a pot of boiling water. Boil for 3 minutes.

Step 3: Remove beans from water and place into an ice bath for another 3 minutes.



Step 4: Allow beans to dry out on a towel.


Step 5: Bag, remove air, and freeze.

They look so orderly and precious. I write the date on them so I can use the older ones first come winter when I am cooking up frozen vegetables.



We bought a chest freezer for the basement this year, so I am on a mad freezing kick. These are the things I froze the day before we left for Seattle. Some beans, corn, peppers, tomatoes, and pesto. The freezer is nearly full, so if the power goes out I am screwed.








No comments:

Post a Comment