Monday, September 21, 2009

Starbucks Banana Walnut Bread


If you have been to Starbucks recently, you most likely have seen the recipe cards that they are giving out for Banana Walnut Bread. They say "Hi, we are making a change by using simpler recipes and taking out artificial ingredients...." I'm on board with that, so I decided to give the recipe a try this morning.


First of all, its a little chilly here this morning, and we have the windows open. So I am wearing a poncho that I bought at the Hispanic Festival last year. Let me be the first to tell you, cooking in a poncho is a bad idea. While I was mixing up the bread, I had it flung behind me, in a kind of Superman fashion and that was fine, but while I was checking the bread with a tooth pick, it was falling all over the place and I am lucky I didn't catch myself of fire.


I thought the technique on this bread was kind of odd. Usually, you mix the dry, mix the wet, and mix them together. This recipe has you mix the dry, mix other dry stuff with wet stuff, and then mix that together, and then add the rest of your wet stuff. It felt counterintuitive and like I was going to end up with overmixed bread.
Anyway, the bread ended up being very moist, but lacking a certain richness. Maybe my bananas weren't ripe enough. It would probably be really delicious slathered up with some butter. I might try that on the next piece.


Here's the recipe if you want to try it yourself:http://www.starbucks.com/retail/assets/pdfs/SUM209-07901_RecipeCard_1.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment