Monday, September 28, 2009

My Super Exact Recipe for Pesto

Well, my basil plants are not long for this world, so I am picking whats left and whipping up some pesto to freeze. Its pretty easy but this recipe calls for exact amounts and if you screw up the proportions surely you will be left with something that is disgusting and inedible.

In a pyrex measuring cup, place a handful of basil, a handful of pinenuts, a handful of parmigiano reggiano, several grinds of black pepper and some olive oil. Whirl it up with an immersion blender. Taste for seasoning. Add salt and pepper if necessary. Or a little lemon juice and garlic. Stir. Stick in a ziplock bag, press all the air out and freeze. Come the cold of winter, remove from freezer and enjoy its summery goodness on pasta (with grilled chicken) or slathered on some rustic bread.
(Green goodness. You know how children lick the beaters for cookie dough? After I bag up the pesto, I totally use my fingers to scrape the inside of the pyrex and lick it off my fingers. Gross, right? My love for pesto knows no shame.)

No comments:

Post a Comment