Monday, September 21, 2009

Food Network Says I Need a Clear Culinary Point of View


Well, they haven't said it to me, but they say it to everyone (all the time) on The Next Food Network Star. So I guess I should let you know what my "culinary point of view" is.


I love to eat. I always have; I always will. So I guess somewhere along the line when I was a child I figured out that cooking is a good hobby for someone who loves to eat. As far as I can remember, I have loved to cook. As a kid, I remember watching PBS on Saturdays to catch Julia Child and Graham Kerr.


Anyway, as I have gotten older, my interest in foods has broadened (like my waistline - har har) and now include growing and sourcing my food. I love to shop farmers markets. I subscribe to a CSA. I grow some stuff for myself. And I freeze stuff like crazy during the summer so I can have 'nearly' fresh stuff during the winter.


So I guess my "culinary point of view" is that I like to cook foods that are local and seasonal. I think things taste best whe I grow them. Or when a farmer I know grows them. That being said, I live in Missouri, and I have no intent on giving up lemons and limes, or pineapples and bananas just because they don't grow here. But I do try my best to think about where my food comes from and who is growing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment