Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Squash You Should Know

This is my new favorite squash. Its called a Delicata Squash. I first met him through my farm share. He has a sweet potato-y flavor, but a really, well, delicate flesh. I much prefer its texture to acorn or butternut squash.

A little history for you:
This squash was popular through the 1920's and then fell into obscurity. It has a thin, tender skin that doesn't travel well or store for periods of time, so its not well suited for supermarkets. If you see some at a farmers market, do yourself a favor and get one.

I typically cut them in half, seed them and steam in the microwave. Then I scoop out the flesh, and mash with a little butter, salt and pepper. I finish with a drizzle with maple syrup and throw a few walnuts on top. Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment