Sunday, November 15, 2009

White Wine Braised Chicken

So I had this bowl full of herbs and a box of wine, and I wasn't inclined to run to the grocery store. Sometimes I just like to look around, see what I have and try to create something fantastic for dinner with whats here. Its self serving, really. Its fun, and also, it saves me moolah. If I step foot in a grocery store, I will spend $50. Its a fact. I hate that about myself, so I try to limit my exposure.

First, I would like to say that I am thankful that its the middle of November and my herbs are still surviving outside. Sadly, they aren't growing back when I cut them. But I've got piles of sage and parsley still. I use them recklessly. I'm a little more conservative with the rosemary, oregano and thyme. They are getting dangerously nubby. The green onions are a bonus, as I thought all the onions had been picked, cured and stored a long time ago. Where was I going? Oh, I'm gonna make a braised chicken, using up some of these herbs and other things that I've got around the house.
I started by browning a couple of chicken breasts (that had been salted and peppered) skin side down first, in a little bit of olive oil and butter.

Flip and brown the other side.


While the chicken was browning, I peeled about 8 garlic cloves, and diced a small onion. I gave a rough chop to some sage, oregano, and rosemary, after I freed them from any thick or woodsy stems.


After the chicken was browned, I added about 2 cups of dry white wine, and the garlic, onions, and herbs.



Plus a little dijon mustard. The grainy kind. I love it.


Then I covered the chickens and let them cook on low heat for about an hour, flipping them over in the braising liquid every now and again.


After about an hour, I removed the chicken from the liquid and cover it with foil. Then I added a cup of chicken stock to the wine/garlic/onion/herb mixture and pureed it with an immersion blender to thicken it up. Now, must people would just strain the stuff out of it, but I wanted it kind of chunky and rustic. It wasn't quite as thick as I would have liked, so I whisked in a little corn starch mixture to thicken it up more.

While the sauce was simmering, I chopped some parsley and green onion. I put down a little bit of mashed parsnips and turnips, pulled the chicken off the bone, ladled on a little sauce, and topped it with the fresh parsley and onion. For a brief moment, I felt a little French. And a little country. It was magical and delicious. ;)

(Oddly, while I was cooking this, the house started to smell like someone was cooking Thanksgiving dinner, which was all right with me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment