Thursday, November 5, 2009

Tried Something New With My Beets, Turnips and Sweet Potatoes

I feel like every time I eat a beet or a turnip its either roasted, mashed or pureed, so I thought I would switch it up and try something new. I'll give you some nutritional info on the aforementioned roots, but honestly, I fried them. And I'm not gonna pretend like that was the healthy thing to do.

Beets - I tried them for the first time last year, and wasn't a huge fan right off the bat. Plus I think they give off an odd odor when they cook. For some reason, I am quite over that this year and I kind of like them. It could be because the antioxidants in beets are great protection against cancers and heart disease. Or it could be because we started getting chiogga beets in our farm share and I find these little striped beets too cute to resist.

Turnips - I have been in love with the turnip since I first started substituting mashed turnips and parsnips for mashed potatoes. Turnips contain a compound that had been shown to prevent cataracts and cardiovascular disease. And turnips, as well as beets, are a good source of fiber.
Sweet Potatoes - I don't understand the people that pass on the sweet potatoes on Thanksgiving. Maybe later on I'll share my Grandma Nancy's sweet potato recipe with you. Its killer and its the recipe that people always want. When we give it to people we always warn them "Don't tell Grandma Nancy I gave it to you." Anyway, sweet potatoes are a great source of vitamins A and C. That's good for heart health and colon cancer. The anti-inflammatory properties of these vitamins are good for asthma and arthritis.


So I peeled them all up and cut them into a dice. Then I threw them into a non-stick pan with a little bit of olive oil over medium high heat for about 30 minutes.

They got all crispy on the outside, but tender and sweet on the inside. A nice way to switch up fried potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment