Friday, November 13, 2009

Sauteed Kale

I was trying to come up with some life changing, ground breaking, super cool recipe for this super food, but it was not meant to be. Kale has such a distinct texture and flavor that its hard to just add it to a recipe and not have it be overwhelmed with kaleness. So I just made some sauteed kale to go along with the pork steaks that I barbecued last night. If you can cook spinach, you can cook kale. I started with two bunches of kale. Stemmed it, cleaned it, spun it dry, and cut it into bite sized pieces.

I sliced up a few cloves of garlic.

To give it a little pork flavor, I'm going to season it with some leftover bacon grease. Not terribly healthy, but it makes all the difference flavorwise.



I put a couple tablespoons of olive oil in a pan with one tablespoon of bacon fat.



Add my sliced garlic.


Then top that will the cleaned and stemmed kale. Add a cup of water, give it a toss, and put a lid on it.


I let it steam for about 5 minutes.


Remove the lid, add some red pepper flakes, salt & pepper, and a couple of dashes of white wine vinegar.


Like spinach, when you apply heat to kale, it cooks WAY down. Unlike spinach, its really hearty and filling. For lack of a better word, kale is a really meaty vegetable.



No comments:

Post a Comment