Monday, June 7, 2010

Greens with Roasted Beets

Okay, so I totally stole the idea for this recipe from my sister. I was returning home from my afternoon at the food club and saw that I missed a couple of calls from her. She had picked up her half share earlier in the afternoon, so I had recently seen her. She says, "I roasted the beets and put them on a bed of the greens and topped it with the goat cheese and some white balsamic vinaigrette." I think to myself, "Hmm. That sounds like a good idea." So I copycatted her. Here's what I did:

Greens with Roasted Beets and Balsamic Vinaigrette
greens
2 beets
1 scallion
a few radishes
handful of oregano
2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
4 tablespoons olive oil + more for roasting
crumbled goat cheese
chopped pecans
salt & pepper



Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Clean, trim and dry beets. Splash with a bit of olive oil, and enclosed in aluminum foil. Roast for 20 minutes. Turn off oven and leave beets in there while you go sign up for a pool pass at the new Y. (You can skip the sign up for a pool pass part, but turn off the oven and leave them in there for about 30 minutes or until a knife pierces them easily.)

Mmm. Tender roasted beets.

Using a paper towel, rub the skin until it comes off. Use a paring knife to remove any stubborn sections of skin. Refrigerate until chilled. I gave them a few hours.


Rinse and dry the leaves from a couple sprigs of oregano. Give them a rough chop.

Add oregano, vinegar, oil and some salt and pepper to a glass jar. Shake and taste. Adjust seasoning.


Dice cooled beets. Assemble salad of greens, sliced radishes, beets, sliced green onion, and a bit of goat cheese and pecans. Top with a couple tablespoons of dressing.



No comments:

Post a Comment