Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A Gifted Gardener

I am not one. It's kind of funny, cause I have a decent sized garden for someone who lives in an urban area and I am out there all the time and I am constantly doing things that would make the casual observer think that I am a really good gardener. It doesn't hurt that (not to brag), our little slice of heaven is really good looking. And every once in a while we get lucky and get a bumper crop of something, but as far as I can tell, it's only luck.

Case in point: today, I am tending to my cucumbers. I put up a trellis last week and every few days, as they grow, I kind of train them to follow the trellis. We are starting to get little baby fruits (yeah I know we are behind everyone else) and today I noticed some odd looking cucumbers.

Hmm. That doesn't look like a cucumber.

Neither does this one.
Oh wait, it's because they aren't cucumbers. Somehow I managed to plant a couple of cantaloupe plants smack dab in the middle of my cucumber patch. And I even put the little tag from the starters down next to them. Way to pay attention to what I am doing!

Seriously, it's a miracle that anything grows out there for me. On the upside, I'm kind of excited about growing cantaloupe now!

No comments:

Post a Comment