Sunday, June 6, 2010

Chicken Breast with Garlic Scapes and Scallion

Got some scapes in the farm share this week. Scapes are the part of the garlic plant that grows above ground. Farmers typically cut the top off of the plant to encourage the growth of the bulb. I googled "scapes" and it appears that pickling and pesto are the two top uses of this unusual vegetable (is it a vegetable?) I thought I would try something else.

Chicken Breast with Scapes and Scallion
2 bone in/skin on chicken breasts
2 scallions (spring onions)
4 scapes
juice of half a lemon
zest of half a lemon
1 inch of grated ginger
spash of fruity white wine
salt & pepper


Here's what the scapes look like:

Chop the scapes and the scallions, add grated ginger, lemon juice, lemon zest, S&P, and spash of wine.


I put some extra S&P and olive oil in a couple of prep bowls. It saves me from having to wash my hands a bunch of times.


Loosen the skin from the breast. Take half the mixture and stuff underneath the skin of each breast.


Rub each breast with olive oil, S&P.

Place breasts, skin side down, on preheated medium grill. Cook, turning frequently for 20 minutes.

Reduce heat to low, and cook for another 20 minutes or until juices run clear.


When about 5 minutes from being done, I throw some snap peas (some home grown, some farm share) on the grill in a heavy duty pan. I put a little butter, olive oi, fresh thyme and S&P in the pan. Heat until warmed, but still crispy.

I garnish with some parsley, not because I dig 1980's style garnish, but because I firmly believe that parsley is packed with nutritional value.

Yum. It's like springtime on a plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment