Thursday, July 8, 2010

Smashed and Fried Potatoes

I love tiny potatoes. (Well, to be fair, I love big potatoes and medium sized potatoes too.) At Family Harvest this week, I picked out the smallest potatoes I could find so I could make this recipe. Although it's not really a recipe. More of a technique.

Smashed and Fried Potatoes
Tiny Potatoes (as many as you want to eat)
Olive Oil
Fresh Rosemary
Salt & Pepper

I place the potatoes in a pan of cold water and bring to a boil. I boil them for about 10 minutes or until easily pierce with a knife.

Drain and place on a towel to dry/cool.


After they have dried and slightly cooled, smash them with a flat bottomed glass. The Microfest glass worked nicely for me today.


Don't smash them into oblivion. Just a nice, even, gentle smoosh.


Place potatoes in a medium high non-stick pan that has been coated with a thin layer of olive oil. Fry until the edges start browing (around 3-5 minutes). Flip and add a generous amount of fresh rosemary. Fry for another 3-5 minutes or until browned.


Work in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan and steaming the potatoes.
Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Fried rosemary has an unbelievable flavor. Good luck getting these to your plate. We normally stand around them and snack on them while the subsequent batches are frying up.


1 comment: