Friday, July 16, 2010

Herb Crusted Chicken

Hippies make delicious mustard. Well, actually, I probably shouldn't make generalized statements like that. The hippies at Sandhill Farm make delicious mustard. And honestly, I don't know that the people at Sandhill Farm are really hippies, but statements like the following, found on their website http://www.sandhill.org/ make me think they might be:

" Sandhill emphasizes work that members enjoy; if something isn't getting done we either change our attitude or stop doing it. We operate without work quotas and with few schedules. Instead, we talk regularly about what needs doing and ask for help when we need it."

All I can say for certain is that I hope the members of Sandhill Farm enjoy making mustard. Because as long as they are selling, I'll be buying.
When I think of summer, I think of grilling. And summer grilling is so much better with fresh herbs from the garden. I've become somwhat addicted to grilled chicken that's been slathered with grainy mustard and herbs. I just kind of pick whatever looks good (in this case, clockwise from the top, oregano/rosemary/sage/thyme) and then I do the following:

Smoosh the herbs into a ball and finely chop. Add some freshly cracked pepper and sea salt.

Put a couple tablespoons of mustard in a prep bowl so you don't get chicken fingers all over the jar. One the slathering of the chicken begins, things might get a little messy.



Butterfly the chicken to maximize surface space, then spread the mustard over both sides of the chicken.



Divide the herbs amongst the breasts and press them into the mustard.



Grill on a medium high for about 5 minutes a side or until the chicken is cooked throughout.




The flavor on this one is amazing. The mustard/herb crust works well with pork too.

No comments:

Post a Comment