Friday, May 7, 2010

Spinach and Strawberry Salad

I am not a flawless person. In fact, springtime is the time when one of my biggest faults comes to light. I am a berry hoarder. I am the jerk in line in front of you at the farmers markets who buys the last 6 pints of berries from the last guy who has them. I've got some kind of insatiable desire for local berries. Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries. You name it; I want it.

Anyway, this salad is a great way to use what is currently for sale at the markets. Unfortunately, I can't really print a recipe because it's kind of just a mishmash of things.

Spinach and Strawberry Salad
Spinach
Strawberries
Spring Onions
Lemon Juice
Olive Oil
Honey
Poppy Seeds

I got the spinach from Maplewood. Super fresh and tender. Rinsed, spun dry, and picked for big stems.


I bought 6 pints of strawberries at Thies Farm out in North County. They had tons of berries! I grabbed a few and sliced them.

I figured some candied pecans would be nice on the salad, so I grabbed some that we got at the farmers market in San Antonio. These were Al's Nuts port wine pecans. They got roughly chopped.


I mixed one part lemon juice to 3 parts olive oil, a splash of water, around a teaspoon of poppy seeds, some pepper, and a little squeeze of honey in a jar and shook it up.

I topped the spinach, berries, and nuts with a little sliced green onion, a couple tablespoons of dressing and some more fresh cracked pepper.


One of my absolute favorite salads because it uses all of my springtime favorites and reminds me that winter is over.

2 comments:

  1. Two things you'd never expect to see in harmony on a plate. Yet there they are. I am imagining them as a chord.

    Dig the dressing recipe too. Thank you for supporting my life long endeavor to never buy pre-made dressings again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious. I make something similar but have never tried it with poppy seed dressing. I will now!

    ReplyDelete