Monday, March 29, 2010

New Favorite Thing (Steel Cut Oats)


So after I made my mushroom veggie burgers, I had a lot of oats left over. One morning I was looking at the bag and thought "I should have some oatmeal for breakfast." Now, when I was a kid, I tried the packets of instant flavored oatmeal and found that I didn't really care for the texture or taste. But I popped a 1/2 cup of those rolled oats in the microwave with a cup of water. After two minutes, I added a little salt, a little butter, some cinnamon, a spoonful of brown sugar and some banana. And those oats were magnificent.
I decided to look up the nutritional info on my new favorite breakfast treat and was shocked at how good oats are for you. They have iron, protein and about 20% of the daily RDA of fiber. The soluble fiber helps prevent your body from absorbing cholesterol. I personally found that a bowl of oatmeal keeps me filling full all morning long.
Anyhoo, after spreading the oatmeal love to some friends, someone suggested that I try steel cut oats. They take about 20 minutes to cook on the stove top, so I put them on, made the bed, emptied the dishwasher and fed and watered the cats. By the time I was ready, so were my oats. And now I am a steel cut convert. These oats have a nuttier texture with more bite. The oats pictured above are steel cut, with a pat of butter, some salt, a half of a banana, a few walnuts and some Marin County Honey that a friend sent from San Francisco. Which reminds me....

No comments:

Post a Comment