Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Homemade Hummus (Chickpea Dip)

Well, this post is long overdue. My parents gave me a really nice food processor for Christmas and I haven't featured it in this blog yet. I've made bread in it and used it to slice potatoes for gratins and chips, but for some reason, I'm not taking pics and posting recipes. Today that changes.

I've never understood why the little tubs of hummus at the grocery store are so pricey. It's easy to make at home for about a dollar. And you know exactly what's in it when you make it yourself.

Hummus
1 can of chickpeas, rinsed
3 cloves of garlic (more to taste)
olive oil
juice of half a lemon
salt & pepper


The chickpeas and garlic go into the food processor.
Add a little bit of salt and pepper. I whirl it a bit to get everything chopped up, then add...

...this....


...and this....


I usually bowl it up and top it off with more olive oil and black pepper. We eat hummus with celery or carrots like a dip.


And also on toasted bread or pita.




The great thing about hummus is that it has a nice creamy kind of fat feeling texture while packing quite a nutritional punch. Chickpeas contain lots of fiber, protein, and iron.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I follow your blog! I am excited about the hummus recipe. I have to admit, the lemon picture took me a second to figure out. All smashed like that it looked like custard or something. I kept going to the ingredients to figure it out; I thought it might be tahini or something. Thanks for the great recipes! ~Kaly

    ReplyDelete